Sunday, July 4, 2010

Misty Day in Cairns


Yesterday when we checked in the manager suggested that we may want to change the tour we had booked for today to the Great Barrier Reef to tomorrow, as today was going to be a bit choppy. Ever since my sea sickness episode in Hawaii I'm a little more apprehensive about boat rides (that was the first time in my life that I had been sea sick, so I'm not particularly prone to it, but nonetheless, once biten, twice shy). So we changed that tour to tomorrow, and changed Dave's golf game booked for tomorrow to today.
Dave and I woke up fairly early and enjoyed our tea on the balcony overlooking the esplanade and beach. We watched the sun shining through various breaks in the clouds and thought the day would soon be purely sunny. However, the clouds won, not the sun.
Dave rented a car and was off to the golf course before it actually started to rain. And it really is more of a heavy mist than a rain. Anyway Dave golfed at Paradise Palms golf course, a little north of Cairns. He golfed with Alexander, from Moscow. Alexander was here looking for schools for his children. We aren't too sure how savoury the connections of a Russian who can afford to golf and to send his kids to school in Australia can be, but he was a nice chap, spoke good English, and they had a fun game.
Sean and I walked down the esplanade to the reef terminal & wharf - a little more than 2 km down. We went in and discussed a trip to Green Island - which we were originally going to do today, but now Thursday is looking good for it. Then we went into the Pier shopping centre and hit one of the wharfside restaurants for lunch. Following which we walked back in the rain/mist to our apartment. It's all quite refreshing, but really irritating because we both wear glasses and neither of us are equipped with windshield wipers for our glasses. We passed a "Sand Nourishment Project" on our way - that sounds quite Green, but means bringing in truckloads of sand from some where else and dumping them on the beach and pushing it level with a Bobcat.
For dinner we went to the night time dinner and show at the Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park - Neva doing the tourist thing again! This one was quite entertaining, with some young aborigine men painted up, playing the didgeridoo and clapsticks, making fire with two sticks of wood, teaching us chants, etc. Then we had an "international buffet" which basically catered to the Asian crowd (miso soup with seaweed and tofu beside the pumpkin soup with sour cream and green onions, various rice, noodle and stir fry dishes beside the basic chicken, beef, pork, potato and veg) - Dave was pleased because he had 2 servings of Pavlova for dessert.
I finally found that I could connect my camera to Dave's computer with his Sky Caddie connection, so I'll be back to photos with each post. The Vodophone USB port modem only works with one computer, which has to be Dave's. The one we had in Mexico we could pass around from computer to computer. I'm glad to have figured out a way past the problem.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read all your blogs and got caught up. You would make an excellent tour guide Neva. If I ever can do a world trip, I want to engage you to come with me.

Keep enjoying,

Hugs,

Kathy