Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Great Barrier Reef



Today we got up, it was bright and sunny, and remained that way for most of the day. We were picked up at the hotel at 9:55 for our day's trip - first of all down to the pier to catch our helicopter transfer from Cairns to the Marine World pontoon on the reef. I felt like I was in Vietnam, watching the world pass by through the glass window by my feet (I got to sit in front by the pilot), listening to the chop-chop-chop overhead, and feeling the breeze through the open window. We landed on a little tiny floating helipad, then a boat took us over to the big stationary pontoon. In the photo the pontoon is the larger of the two boats parked together, the helipad is the little square below them, and the transfer boat is busily steaming between the two (with the semi-sub off just above them).
The pontoon had changing rooms, fresh water showers, docks for the glass-bottomed boat, dive boats and semi-submersible boat, a fenced in kiddie's swim area, a large area for easy ocean access to snorkel, buckets of fins and masks, tons of picnic type tables, and an upper deck with sun lounges. Docked right beside the pontoon and fully accessible was the big catamaran boat (on which most people came out to the pontoon, and on which we returned). That had toilets, a bar, 2 levels, comfy seats and tables. All in all very well equipped to spend several hours at the reef.
Flying in we could see the reef approaching - we passed over a cay forming on the way, and saw portions of the reef from the air, with its line of breakers on the outer edge.
After landing, the 3 of us signed up for a beginners guided snorkel tour. We all shelled out for prescription goggles (actually only $5 to rent, but required $100 deposit each) so we could see everything clearly. With the guide he took us on a ring tour (we each placed our hands on the ring and floated out, looking down between our arms, while he towed us around). At least, that was the idea. Dave had trouble with snorkel breathing and Eric spent some time teaching Dave what to do. Sean and I saw lots of stuff while that was going on, and when Dave got settled in he too was amazed at what he could see. All sorts of different corals, mostly brown and green but some bright blue. And different fish - little striped guys that came really close, bright blue and green parrot fish, lots of other yellow, stripped, fat, flat, or thin fishes. And one really big (close to a meter long) blue Maori Wrasse fish came right up to us - Sean and I both touched him, and Eric kept pushing him away. It made me wish I had an underwater camera!
After our half hour snorkel we had lunch, then Dave and I got dressed and went on a semi-submersible ride and Sean went for another snorkel. Then we all went for a glass-bottomed boat ride and Sean went for one more snorkel before it was time for the catamaran ride back to the wharf. We all had a great time out there all day.
We came back and went to a Balinese restaurant for dinner - we had their special sampling gourmet menu, and tried all sorts of Balinese appetisers, mains and desserts - so a great day was followed by a great meal.

3 comments:

Reche said...

I think Maori Wrasse must be very friendly fish - I recall petting one when I went snorkling too. I'm glad to hear Sean liked snorkling so much. I would have been with him all those times. Although I would have tried to convince him to go diving with me...

Glad you had fun!

Neva said...

You could have patted the same one - they live to be pretty old and are friendly. Sean said he also saw a very much larger one, but it was down lower and the divers played with it, not the snorklers. The usual nickname for a large Maori Wrasse is Wally.

Reche said...

Yep, that's what they called him all right!