Friday, June 25, 2010

Arrived in Sydney


Sean met us at our hotel in Melbourne and we travelled to the airport together, and flew to Sydney with absolutely no problems. We took a cab to our hotel (after a lot of discussion with the train lady at the airport - but it turned out for 3 of us the cab was cheaper than the train).

After checking in to our hotel we walked over to Darling Harbour. We had lunch in one of a multitude of harbourfront cafes - we all enjoyed our lamb burger and the harbour ambiance.

Then we caught a ferry to Circular Quay, and approached the Sydney Opera House by coming under the Harbour Bridge. It was quite lovely, just as it should be. We walked around the opera house, then walked over to The Rocks.

We decided it was time for dessert and went to a Guylian Belgian chocolate cafe, where we indulged. My hot chocolate came with a chunk of milk chocolate in the bottom to be melted by the pot of hot chocolate I poured over it - MMM. Dave and Sean both had milkshakes, which also got good reviews. This was one of a chain of Belgian chocolate cafes, and I had a hot chocolate yesterday at a difference chain (Koko Black)- we are missing out in Saskatoon by not having chocolate cafes!

Then we walked back down George Street to our hotel. At the harbour end, George Street has the Four Seasons Hotel, Louis Vuitton, Tag Heure, etc, etc - all very high end. A lot of blocks later, when you come to our hotel, the high end stuff has been left far behind. Once inside, our apartment is very functional - a separate bedroom, and another bed (for Sean) in the living room/kitchen. We rearranged all the furniture to our satisfaction and are quite happy in the space. The cleaning staff will no doubt be unhappy with us when we leave and they have to move everything back where it was originally.

I'm looking forward to another wine tour tomorrow.

2 comments:

Aussie Debb said...

I'm glad Sydney seems to be giving you decent weather. It is cold & wet here, I'm at work bored looking at crazy sailors. I like the way you write, it is interesting. I have eaten 1 box of my chocolates, they are very yummy. Keep having fun & travel safe.

Reche said...

I now understand why whenever I travel what I remember best is the food...

Speaking of chocolate cafes, I think the chocolate shop on 2nd Ave. (I think it's a Harden Huyse) is a cafe. Perhaps a chocolate cafe? You should ask Caileen on your return - I know she used to go there with Kathy.