Monday, June 28, 2010

Still in Sydney


Today Dave got up early and went golfing at Moore Park golf course, a local (10 minutes away) inexpensive golf course, instead of the upscale places he golfed in Melbourne. He had a good time. He has a new best friend, a Japanese man who owns a restaurant here in Sydney - where we are dining tonight.
Sean and I went to Darling Harbour and visited both Sydney Aquarium and Sydney Wildlife World. I learned that a platypus is much smaller and cuter than I thought, and that a wombat is much bigger and not as cute as I thought. The koala are pretty boring in the daytime - they were all sleeping in trees. The kangeroo looked as expected. I also learned that although Australia is full of venomous insects and reptiles, the average number of deaths per year from most is 0. (The brown snake, however, does get 2 per year.) Some haven't had a death since they discovered the anti-venom 30 or 50 (depending on the animal) years ago. A lot of others just make you sick instead of killing you.
After our education time at these spots we stopped at an Asian bun store on the way back to the hotel and purchased red bean buns, fluffy pork buns, etc. for lunch.
Then we all went to the Australian Museum and looked at the displays of aboriginal life and Australia's weird wildlife, which was also weird back in the pleistocene age. The marsupials were just bigger.
Sean discovered a Japanese bookstore and went shopping on the way home from the museum. So we all had another good day.

2 comments:

Reche said...

Speaking of Japanese, please tell Sean that we brought Domo to church yesterday, and the 4-year-old boy who sits in front of us was very interested in him. What he was, what he did, etc. I know have to look him up on the internet to see if what I told him was even close to accurate.

Auntie Lil said...

well second try tonight - I will get this blog thing down yet. Sounds like you will all be rolling home. Wine, chocolate bars etc etc etc. Hmmm. I tried to post on kookaburra day - I "head" sang until I hated the sound in my head.
Hope this one works