Monday, June 21, 2010

Separate Lives


Today we each lived our separate lives. Sean, to be different than his parents, worked at translating and made money. We didn't work or make money.

Dave got up early, walked to Flinder Station with his golf clubs slung on his back and took a 25 minute train ride, then caught a cab to Yarra Yarra Golf Club. He golfed with 3 Australians - 2 young men who are members of the club, and a 45 year old man who is a member of a reciprocating club in the area. The young men were long hitters, but didn't have much of a short game. The other man was a fantastic golfer - Dave wants to golf like him when he grows up. He had a great day. Then reversed the trip to come home.

I dilly dallied around the room for awhile, then walked over to Federation Square and took the free tourist shuttle that goes all around town with appropriate commentary. I got off at Queen Victoria Market, and wandered through. It's a huge covered market, with a lot of miscellaneous merchandize stalls (from Ugg boots to didgeridoos to T-shirts to cheap Asian imports), a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables, a meat market area (where the fish, poultry and meat are generally sold from separate stalls), a deli area (with sausage, cheese, chocolate, bakery goods, etc). The photo has meat we don't sell in our stores - except maybe the buffalo. I've never eaten camel or emu.
I hopped back on the shuttle and continued around to the Docklands stop. This is a new area, I assume modelled after Docklands in London. I looked at the harbour, and looked around the Harbour Front Mall. It's largely discount stores. Then I hopped on the tourist bus again to return to Federation Square.
When I got back to the hotel Dave had just returned, so we went out for a delayed lunch. More pizza (I love the Italian style thin crust pizza). Dave came back to the hotel room to nap and I went to the bookstore to buy a magazine. That was a mistake. The bookstore doesn't sell magazines. Since the chemist doesn't either, I don't know where to go. I'll have to ask the concierge where one goes to buy magazines in Australia. Or maybe I can ask my son, and save face in front of the concierge.

1 comment:

Reche said...

I have eaten emu - I remember it as being really salty and tough, but that may just have been the way it was prepared. And if you assume buffalo = bison, for sure you can buy it here. Trevor and I eat bison all the time.

I don't remember where I bought magazines when I was there. Maybe I didn't? Maybe there's just those magazine/newspaper shops on the street?

Also, I think the "bug" crustacean I told you you should try is a Moreton Bay Bug. I seem to remember "Bay Bug". But it may also have been a Balmain Bug. I can't remember where I ate it, which would help. But pretty sure it's a Moreton Bay Bug.